My baby just voted for the first time!!!!!!! This is a super big deal at our house, right up there with a first date, new license and graduation. Zel spread his ballot out on the table with his voter guide and we had a nice mother son moment. In Oregon we have a closed primary, which means you only get to vote for your party's nominees and non partisan positions. Zel received a Republican ballot, and I DID NOT PRESSURE HIM TO REGISTER AS A REPUBLICAN!!! If I had that kind of influence I'd use it to get him to church. But, it's nice to have a discussion with my teenager and not have it be an argument.
I have a picture floating around out there of my first time voting- back in the olden days when Oregonians still went to the polling place to vote. I wish I could find it and post it. I'm standing by the voting booth with a huge goofy grin on my face, and you can practically see the goose bumps on my arms- I was so excited to be voting. Unfortunately- you might not have noticed those things because you would have been way too distracted by my huge 80's hair. Thank goodness some things change! But not my excitement about the whole process.




5 comments:
GO ZELL! So was he as excited as you were your first time? As a voter with lots of kids I'm glad I can vote by mail but at the same time nothing beats the feeling of going to your assigned location and casting your first vote from a booth. (especially during a presidential year) Since my kids don't see us going to vote I make a point to be very visible to them as I fill in my ballot at home.
I can't wait to hear the results of our states elections one week from today!
Good to hear from you Nat! Say hey to your hubby for me and let him know that i follow all the rules of the road now (he'll never believe it!)
The Laundry Queen
Voting rocks.
We went to an 18th-birthday party for the son of friends this week, and the dad had every attendee give advice to the birthday boy on video. Newton's advice (remember, he's 7): "Vote for Obama!" Cracked me up.
JA,
I love political kids, even if they are Obama supporters!
One more thing--you do realize that I registered as a Republican when I turned 18, too? Didn't stop me from turning into a pinko liberal commie. :)
Post a Comment