Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day 08

Ahhhh, Mother's Day. I have a love/hate relationship with this holiday. It's never quite what I want it to be, and it stresses me out, and I know it stresses my Honey out too. He wants the day to be nice for me, but he's missing the special occasion gene. Not his fault really, I think it's passed from father to son, and his dad wasn't really around.

When my kids were little my ideal Mother's day would be spent in my room- away from the creatures that earned me the holiday. I know the irony doesn't escape me. Another irony- now that my kids are older I want to spend the time with them, but they don't always want to spend time with me.

The last few Mother's Days I have wanted to hang out with those same creatures and it's getting harder and harder to get them to do that. On this day I wanted my boys to go to church with us, in church clothes, and sit by me. I didn't get it. The other thing I wanted was to play board games with the whole family. We love board games, but it's hard to get my teenagers to hang out with us long enough to play. I did get this Mother's Day present, and we all had a great time, even though Zel didn't let me win!

My kids may be running for the door now, but someday they'll be banging down my door for grandmother favors. Ahhh, the circle of life! Maybe I'll answer the door.....we'll see......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, my kids are little and I'm with you on the alone-time kind of Mothers' Day. I'm sure when they're bigger and always heading every which way I'll feel differently. This year I got to go out to dinner all by myself and have just the kind of food I wanted (a beautiful green salad with fresh fava beans, lemon dressing and pecorino cheese; fresh wild salmon with baby spring vegetables--the smallest and sweetest carrots, potatoes, shallots, ramps, favas, peas, morels--and a dill hollandaise; and caramelized banana cream tart with whipped cream and caramel sauce). It was divine.

Glad you got your board games in--my family likes those a lot, too (as you know).

Becky said...

I love that you have the power to answer that door...or not! {evil grin}

Jen said...

I haven't been posting or reading for a while, so I missed this one. Funny how we all seem to echo each other's inner thoughts on Mother's Day -- it's such a tricky holiday. I guess as a Mom you know that your heart's gonna get yanked around a bit, but you have to keep it open for those times when everybody finally "get's it" and they voice their appreciation and love. Thanks for sharing.