Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Best Part

I went to our ward's Scout and Young Women fundraiser yesterday. It was well organized, with good food, a silent auction and an out loud auction. (I have no idea what it's called when it isn't silent!)

Elle was sitting on my lap (yep, at 12 she still does that !) while the auction was winding down. I squeezed her and told her my favorite part of the ward activity was coming. She seemed excited to hear about my favorite part, until I told her it was - clean up.

"You're weird mom. " I know, thanks dear. If my 12 year old doesn't say that to me at least once a day it means I'm falling short on my contractual duties as a mother.

But, really, clean up is my favorite part of any ward activity - and not because that means it's over. I love watching everyone pitch in and help! It doesn't matter who is on the clean up committee- actually that's the best committee to be on, because as soon as the closing prayer is said you'll have about 50 honorary members. Even as a child I was impressed as I watched everyone take down tables, fold up chairs, take out garbage, etc. Our family stayed until it was all done, we just did- no discussions. I didn't mind; I liked the feeling of a common purpose as I dragged a chair or two to the pile. We were all working together, and most everyone was there because they wanted to be...not because they had to be.

I'm sure it goes on in every ward, at every activity and that is comforting to know. We work, we help each other and we do it because we want to- not because we have to. Knowing that makes me feel all nice and warm inside!

And if that makes me weird...well, then that's a description I'm ok with!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! I love to see everyone pitch in and clean. But I have to be honest I enjoy most watching the YM pitch in, being gentlemen. Even when my boys were little, like 6 and 7, it would make my heart proud to see them folding chairs and dragging them to their spot after a conference.

I sure hope my "babies" will be sitting on my lap when they are 12.

Becky said...

My baby makes my legs go numb if she sits too long--but I can handle it. I really enjoy your persepctive, cuz cleaning up just isn't warm and fuzzy for me. Perhaps I had folding chair trauma as a child. But I'll look at it with new eyes from now on. (my husband and son, however, are of the species about which you speak)

Jen said...

I was noticing Elle on your lap remembering fondly the days when my baby would still touch me willingly in public. (Sigh...)

Nanette said...

As a former Activities Committee Chairman, I thank you for pitching in! It seems as if there are two different kinds of people in the church the ones who stay to help clean up (my favorites) and the ones who run for the door as soon as (and sometimes even before) the prayer is finished. I even had the second kind on my committee...
Nanette