Today is my 21st wedding anniversary! Twenty-one years! Over two decades! The really mind blowing part for me is that I have now spent more years married than single. MORE years married than single. Wow. Really.....wow!
I remember a visiting church leader speaking at our church telling us that after 40 years of marriage his wife finally quit asking him not leave his socks on the floor. I thought "oh great it takes 40 years for a husband to quit doing something that bugs his wife!" Then he said it's not because he remembers to pick up his socks, it's just because she has finally just given up! I don't think it's really because she gave up, I think its because after you've been married long enough you start figuring out what is REALLY important.
Here is a great idea that helped me to see what is really important. I got this idea from Becky's mom-a wise woman who has been married a long time. During a year that my Honey and I were having a rough time I took a few minutes every night and wrote down at least one thing he had done for me that day. Like: Monday-Thank you for not complaining when I asked you (no, nagged you) to take out the garbage. Tuesday-You held the car door for me, in the rain. Wednesday-Thank you for taking Elle on errands with you. I appreciated the break.
The whole notebook is filled with mostly simple things, but focusing on all those little things that my Honey did for me everyday helped me to NOT focus on the things he wasn't doing that I wished he would. It helped us both, and it helped our marriage.
Now if I could just get him to pick up his shoes.......
I love you Honey!
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Happy Anniversary to Me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
You are so right about the little things. They add up big time!
Happy Anniversary!!
21 years! Wow! That is such an accomplishment.
I, myself, am feeling oh so evolved for never nagging my husband about leaving his socks on the floor. But now I remember that's because *I* also leave my socks on the floor. Oops! If you can't beat 'em...
Post a Comment