Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Good Example

Zel has decided he wants to play college water polo. He played in high school and we were so thrilled to see his love of soccer and swimming come together. He played goalie, and although I was a nervous wreck while I watched him block those hard shots, we loved cheering him and his team on. And he was good! Water polo is such a great game to watch because it's so fast paced and has lots of physical play, legal and not legal, above the water and under the water- if you know what I mean! Ouch.


The players have to be in great shape- and not just because they wear little Speedos. Have you ever seen someone in a Speedo? If the guy wasn't in good shape I'm sure that image is burned into your brain there to remain and ready to surface at the slightest mention of a s-p-e-e-d-0! Shudder-sorry. So Zel has a gym membership, got himself a trainer, a workout routine, and a food plan. It helped that he was in great shape before, but now he is doing two a day workouts-swimming and weights, and eating 5000 calories a day. Can you believe that- 5000 calories- a day! That sounds great if it was Ben and Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk three times a day. I could do that! But, no. There is no ice cream on his food plan- its all brown rice, chicken breasts, black beans and the usual fruit and vegetables.

Sigh. He is making me feel really guilty; which decreases my enjoyment of my Diet Coke and Reese's peanut butter cup. (You heard me....DIET coke!) I'm wondering how much longer I can hold out. I think it may be time for me to get moving.

Sometimes teenagers can be good for your health.

3 comments:

Rusty & Georgia Henrichsen said...

Hurray for Lazelle! and hurray for his mom!
I love'm both!
Mom/Grandma

erin black said...

It'd be just like me to up my calories to 5000 per day and then forget to do the exercise part! That would NOT be pretty.
What a great example he his! I honestly think that Water Polo is one of the most physically demanding sports there is. I cannot tread water to save my life (much less with someone punching me under the surface!), so my hat is off to him!

Becky said...

I'm so glad you find this inspiring. I think I would simply find it endearing, putting me into mother mode, hence encouragin MORE Ben and Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk. sigh