So Christmas is over, and I've got to say I don't think I will ever have such an easy gift giving year again. A few months ago the kids were begging for a big screen tv and a Wii, and my Honey joked we could get those for them for Christmas and nothing else. I was shocked when they pounced on the idea. I never thought they'd go for something like that; trade a pile of presents and personal gain for a few presents designed for the greater good- or at least everyone's entertainment!
So that's what we did. Under the tree this year was a tiny pile of presents and a gigantic tv box. We bought each of the kids a game, and "Santa" gave them a $25 in their stockings, but that was it. So far no one has voiced any regrets. We've been having a blast with the Wii and the kids have enjoyed watching me be beat over and over at every game.
It was strange not joining the crazy shopping season, and I did miss it a little. But it was nice knowing that I was getting exactly what the kids asked for. Every year I suffer gift anxiety when I spend our limited Christmas money. Are we really getting the stuff the kids want? Will they be happy? Will they compare it to what brother or sister got? And on and on..... I'm sure every mother feels that way because Christmas memories are our responsibility. Right?
I feel the need to get it right for the few more years they all have here at home. Seeing everyone snuggled together around our giant new technology is enough to make me think we got it right this year.
Friday, December 26, 2008
Christmas 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
I know exactly how you feel! Chrismtas is a wonderful time but it can be stressful on a mom. You did good! Love you!
Sounds like you got it right to me! Honestly, I think our Wii is the best investment ever. There are very few things that all of my kids will play together, and this is definitely the big one.
I agree Natalie - the kids' combo gifts are the best!! Everyone is happy and it's not too hard of a hit on the wallet. :-)
You're way cute! I wish we could see you around christmas time. I miss the Magnusson clan. But I'm glad your Christmas was good!
I want to do a Christmas like that next year. I hate the "is-everything-equal-and-fair-in-the-eyes-of-each-child" stress. I like the cow game. Have you played it yet? We'll have to go head to head.
I'm with Becky...making everything fair always stresses me out. Even though the kids say they don't care -- I do! Your Christmas sounds much better. Besides, isn't the Wii awesome? We love ours.
Post a Comment