Thursday, June 21, 2007

And so the Summer Begins....

After a frenzied two weeks of school ending activities which included a high school graduation, many recitals and talent shows, a portfolio presentation, and a grade school graduation we can finaly usher in our summer vacation. The last few months of school, the girls (Elle and I) daydream and talk of sun, water, and pool side activities. The boys (Zel and Davis) daydream and anticipate a summer of late nights, marathon gaming and prolonged mornings.
The rhythm of our summers have changed over the years as my kids have gotten older. We tend to do our own thing and touch base throughout the day instead of moving as a group from activity to activity. I've given up planning their summer with productive pursuits, and instead offer up a few big family activities, some optional, some not.
Thank goodness for a sister with a pool membership so our summer dreams of sun and water are easily attainable. We have allowed ourselves an indulgent guilt free week before we go back to being productive. So far our mornings are set aside for sleeping in, a few mandatory chores, then on to the pool. We grab our cooler filled with drinks and snacks (so we can stay at the pool longer), our sunblock and a good book for me, then we're off to the pool. We stake our claim to a lounge chair or two and settle in for the day. Thank goodness Elle and I are both water girls, so neither of us is a pool party pooper!
Summer vacations aren't just for kids, but I am wondering if I will be able to justify three months of pool lounging when I don't have a child to take to the pool. I bet neices and nephews would be a good pool side substitute! I have enough of those....my pool future is secure!

1 comments:

Georgia Fish Henrichsen said...

I really enjoy your blogs. You have quite a gift for expressing yourself...you remember the creative writing assignment you did about the tabogan oylmpic event? You got an A and I don't think you had even seen the event!!!
Now that summer is over, lets write some more. :)
Mom