Sunday, August 3, 2008

Girls Camp '08

Pictures courtesy of my BFF Becky the Bodacious!

Our YCL1's- They love Girls Camp too!



Ketti and I get groovy on Hippy or Hippie Day


I love Girls Camp! I've been doing it one way or another for quite awhile. I've been a camper, a unit leader, a fifth year leader, and now director. It's all sleep deprived, crazy fun AND an amazing spiritual and bonding experience. The first year I did Girls Camp as an adult I was so moved by all the work and the care and the love that go into a program like this. It's the kind of week I wanted my boys to have, but Scout Camp is a different experience-for good or bad. I'd like the boys to have a meaningful spiritual week making new friends that share their values and will support them in their coming trials. But, maybe Girls Camp just doesn't translate the same way for boys.

Now, as an adult leader at Girls Camp I know first hand all the hours, prayers, planning, prayers, headaches, and well, more prayers that go into putting a week of camp together. It all comes together and we, the girls and the grown up girls, go and have a really fantastic time. I have made friendships over the years that could only be made through this kind of work. The women and young women that I have worked with are truly remarkable and I have been so honored to serve with them!

Girls Camp is memorable for the spiritual experiences we have and the crazy fun too. It's an odd combination- but it is a formula that works. We stay up late laughing and crying, then get up early and do it all over again. I know I'm biased, but I think we have one of the best programs around, and I have been blessed to follow some fantastic women as directors, and to have amazing women on my staff to help build our amazing program.

Our theme isn't frivolous-it's always based on the YW theme. This year it was "Up, Up and Abound" . It was a super hero theme and we learned about good works and how we need to be heroes for others. We had devotionals, we did paintball, swimming, hiking, crafts, and of course certification. We camp as age group units- not as wards, and our YCLs (Youth Camp Leaders), our 5th, 6th, and 7th year campers help plan and run camp. They put in a lot of work and learn alot about leadership and following through and serving.

About half way through our week of Girls Camp I start thinking about next year. And because I love it so much I don't dread it- I actually look forward to the next year when I can not sleep in my own bed, wear crazy clothes, sing silly songs and just hang with "The Girls"!


Nurse Shiela, Ashley, and Nurse Jaylynn on SuperHero day



Ketti and I on Nerd Day



Kirsten, Me, and Ketti on Hippie Day



My SUPER YCL1 leaders-Kirsten, Becky, and Laura.
A-mazing ladies!



Nerd day-Laura (yes, Laura), Becky, and Patti (yes, Patti!)

With just a little persuasion, I went down Slippery Rock- and it was COLD!!!!!!

There goes Ketti too!

Me, Tami, and Ketti and the end of our cold, cold ride. CRAZY!!!!!

3 comments:

Jen said...

You ladies are amazing. I have glimpsed the work that must go into girls camp and I admire you greatly. Yea girls camp!!

The Laundry Queen said...

It looks like you had a great time! My mom was stake camp director for 7 years or something like that--you're almost there! I don't know how you do it!

PhatNat said...

I know!!!! Your mom is one of those AMAZING women I was talking about. After her came Debra, then me!